Monday 14 September 2009

Hmmmmmmph!



I made this last night; it's a Jacob's Ladder album. I fell across the instructions here on Split Coast Stampers. I've been getting around to having a crack at this for simply ages and as you can see, I've used the lovely Cosmo Cricket Christmas papers. I can't show you how it tips and turns - that would require vlogging (video blogging) and you just know I'm not capable of going there. So just take my word for it. It works fine. And it's useless as an album in my opinion. Because of course, you can't cover the string/ribbon with anything or it interferes with the mechanism, and you don't wanna stick stuff behind the ribbons, it'll be barely visible and might look like you've put people behind bars! I'm not normally so literal or bothered by detail, but this is quite in your face as a mechanism, huh! So, I've done it. Now I'm gonna unpick it and use it for something else. Obviously, it will be some sort of 3" mini book. And it'll make better use of the two fab papers. It's not that I wasted a couple of hours or the papers don't show or in fact, that I don't think it's a very useless but lovely thing. The hmmmph is because I didn't see it coming and frankly, looking at my photos, you can, huh?
Sorry about the sideways photo, am so not up to arguing with Blogger about it!

16 comments:

Annie said...

That looks like a bit of a challenge but, like you, I may have to have a go at making one. If I find a good use for it once it's finished I will let you know :-) A x

Paige said...

Oh I love it!!!!! even if it's no good as an album it's still very pretty and those papers have just landing in my shopping basket ;) aren't they lush!!!

Angie said...

Mmmmm ..... I dont think it would have clicked with me until after, either ... couldnt get link to work so couldnt see if the instructions showed a full book but I agree with Paige that it is pretty ....there MUST be a use.

Unknown said...

No-wouldn't have clicked with me either.
Do you get Somerset Studio mag? I have one to RAK-and thought of you.

Carmen said...

I think it's very gorgeous as is. Just googled a video to remind myself how they work - yup definitely a very pretty thing to use as is. Devon has just said is it a magic trick? How cool! :P

voodoo vixen said...

I think it looks gorgeous and when I made one I decided that photos weren't an option so just added 'things' instead... so I have one of these covered in geckos... and no it has no use whatsoever... but it is pretty!! ;)

Unknown said...

Well done you on stepping up to the challenge anyway and for sharing so we don't come across the same set of instructions and waste hours thinking we can fill it with yummy photos :0)

I am going to have to stop there ... I have a crick in my neck *LOL*

Anonymous said...

looks brill jules! those papers are immense

Chris said...

LOL, but sometimes you have to make these things to find out! Been there and done that with a couple of things from SCS too. I look forward to seeing what comes out of your unpicking and the papers are really gorgeous! Chris x

Fiona said...

Oh dear - you don't sound happy! lol!

Chrissie said...

This remins me of when I was a kid and my dad had one of these foldy overy things and he used to make a ten bob note disappear!!
Great stuff Julia!
I cheat with my bows by the way. I have a bow maker, which is essentially 2 bits of dowel stuck into a block of wood which you tie the ribbon around, then slide off and hey presto... a perfectly tied ribbon every time. I got it on eBay for a couple of quid.
Chrissie

Emilie said...

This is sooo cool!!! you won a little something on my blog! isn't cool when you give things to people you actually like?!

Digi Stamp Boutique said...

Straight away...ha

But....ahh....what a beautiful creation....and those papers are sold.....this years I hope.....Now I would struggle with what to do next too...apart from drool at the papers....or regret cutting them up - bit funny about papers, even tho I can buy more I know...

But yes, I agree - too nice to use without spoiling somthing somewhere...although I'm really trying hard to come up with an alternative use for it....hope it doesnt keep me awake! xx

Ginny said...

been wanting to do one of these forever, know I'll just have to get you to do it for me..lol

as to the xmas cards, I've been doing them for AGES..lol...you mustn't be paying attention ;0)

p.s Brooke's healing well, I have to keep telling her to put her brace on, lol

jo-in-oz said...

It's fantastic Julia. I made one for my sons 10th birthday a while ago and struggled to find some small photos of him to put between the ribbons but it was a real faff and I was disappointed with the end result - he loved it though, so I guess that was the main thing! Jo x

Smudgemakes said...

it's beautiful anyway!!!