Thursday 4 March 2010

Romancing the phone

Of course, there's background. I'll try and be brief. Don't count on it. About fifty years ago when Apple produced the first iPod, I whinged and moaned and generally made life unbearable enough till Mr Dunnit bought me one for my birthday. People, this is pre 'iPod Classic' day I'm talking about. We still had dial up internet. The itunes store was a thing of the future in Great Britain. And to be honest, the motivation for my desire was much more about how totaly COOL I would be if I had an iPod. I have to say that the iPod packaging in terms of design and function were to me quite, quite sublime. It took me almost two days to open the thing completely; I was so unhappy about spoiling it! And then I discovered my inner Luddite. Turns out that I found listening to music in public was incredibly inconvenient and a bit anti-social. Turns out that I felt a bit foolish. Especially as the uber cool control dial and 'touch' operation was so easy that I simply couldn't remember how to use it if I didn't practice daily. And then I managed to change the language setting to Japanese...and it took ages of just 'touch and guess' to change it back...(I was way too embarrased to ask for help!) - eventually it turned into French and I was at least able to follow screen indicators back to English. It was at this time that really I discovered that Apple saying that something is easy is not really in my-line-of-vision 'easy'. They pre-suppose that I know waaaaaay more than I do about computers, technology and well, everything really, even the wires. So Miss Dunnit inherited my Toy of Cool and she was incredibly happy about it. She still uses it too.
So, lesson learned huh? No. Of course not. When the iPhone was introduced I of course, expressed an instant desire to own one. I mean - how cool? And really, I have a mobile phone, so it's not like it would be so difficult to learn as the iPod, I reasoned. Anyway, then we discovered from the safety of the sofa in front of the tv that it would be a one network, set amount a month type contract, and I shelved the idea. I have a perfectly good, FREE phone. I don't know if you know this, but my mobile phone is a perk of my job as Mrs Dunnit. See, Mr Dunnit has a contract at work for the supply of a number of mobile phones for staff and blah...and I'm the blah! I guess there's a point at which for the provider, it doesn't matter how many phones as long as there's a good contract. So lucky me huh!
Phones are replaced annually, I don't know when, to be honest, I've only just found a confident way around the two features that I actually use on my current phone (making calls and sending text), so had no idea that I've had it for a year already! Mr Dunnit came home the other night and gave me an acrylic box with an iPhone 'sleeve' in it - a sort of non slip holder thing. When I worked out what it was, we laughed at it being a freebie which would be the closest I'd come to an iPhone. And then he gave me the beautifully compact black box containing the actual real thing. Apparently, it's phone upgrade time on the contract. His partner had mentioned that he was ordering Blackberry types and Mr Dunnit had told him not to include me (Julia) in that; he was going to buy me an iPhone, because that's what I really wanted. Did you hear that? He was going to buy me one even though I haven't whinged or moaned or really even talked about it. And, and - he didn't set it up or charge it or anything because he didn't want to spoil my opening and enjoying the packaging experience. He remembered! Oh I'm feeling giddy just telling you. You see why I'm excited!! Double spontaneous gesture alert!! Lucky for him and me, business partner included an iPhone with their order - apparently he chose Blackberry off the list for the guys in the offices because he thought the iPhone was a bit girly! Oh my. It IS a very clever phone, and it is going to take me a while to get my head around...but it is much easier to use than the iPod was - or have I just learned more in the last 5 or 6 years? Whatever. Who cares! So that's the romance. Again, lots of you won't even have recognised it as such. It was. And I'll take it. And apparently, brag my breeches off about it too. You get that it's really not about the phone don't you? Like I said to Mr D, really I am deep. Just a bit deep shallow. You know.

26 comments:

Diane.W. said...

Awww,that's sooo nice,bless him!!!

Our house is Iphone & Ipod Touch crazy,except me,I can just about handle my basic phone,thanx v much,lol!!!!
I have an Ipod Nano that Paul bought me,he insisted I needed one for holidays (think I was embarrasing him with my Sony Walkman & huge case of cd's by the pool,hahaha!!!)I have to ask him to turn the blummin Ipod on,off,up,down,etc,not got the 1st clue!!! :o)x

Deanne said...

sadly i dont own anything 'I' ish so I cant join you in the excitement but I am a mobile phone freak and love opening the packaging so i can join you in that :)
*giggles at your language error on said ipod - i do that all the time but to annoy people lol* x

Annie said...

My mobile phone is really just an extension of my right hand now but iphone? I haven't even thought about one of those ....yet. I do really love new phone upgrades and the learning all about what the new one will do so I really can understand all of your excitement. Have fun.
A x

~T~ said...

I don't own any "I"-ish items either - I just like it when my phone works! haha I do however miss my little pink phone I had in the states. I had it play one of my fav songs as the ring and it was just great...but now here in England - I've a boring phone and half the time I don't know that it is mine that is ringing! It doesn't sing "Hello Darlin'" to me anymore! haha

VickiA said...

Oh, how lovely Mr Dunnit is. Hate to say this but DH just changed his phone, after having an iPhone for work he decided against it and went with a competitor. Me....I just have a phone that's a phone and doesn't do much else. God knows I spend far too much time online as it is without having a phone full of widgets to get me doing yet more of something else rather than the something I should be doing. Have fun with it x

Neenie said...

Oooohhhh!! I just knew it would be a good story, went and got myself a cup of coffee and everything. I've been secretly lusting after an iPhone for a while now, you lucky lady!! I know what you mean about the appreciation of great packaging, you just know when something's been thought through to it's utmost.

What a wonderful gesture from Mr D, he's almost Colin Firth-esque in my estimations now!! (I'd be putting extra milk in his coffee for weeks if that were my hubby, maybe a chocolate hobnob or two!!)x ;)

Paige said...

Oh So much romance. tons and tons!!! I love it and so wish mr Lumpy would come home with one for me but he hates Mac and I so so want one :( I'm due and upgrade in October and I know just what I will be ordering then :)

Helen said...

Lucky you! There is a little something for you on my blog!

Pam said...

See all those comments about how impressed you were that I was updating my blog and emailing from IPhone when I didn't even have have paid off. I'm now really jealous as now that I have sussed my ipod touch out and found how easy it is to work I want an iphone :-(

Claire said...

What a cool DH you have :) I sooo need an iphone

NormaJean said...

I have the iphone and I LOVE IT yay!!! you got one..

Ann said...

All I can say, Julia, is 'romance is not dead'. Lucky you to have Mr Dunnit!

Lyn said...

Oooooh, I love my gadgets :D I have an Ipod Classic with gig-a-oodles of music on it, but, much to the kids' horror, I listen mainly to audio books. Audio books are awesome - I don't have time/eyes too tired after work to read, but hang my Ipod round my neck, plug my ears in and off I go - bus home, cooking, cleaning, crafting, etc - multi-tasking at its most productive!

I don't have the phone, but had to have a touch phone when I started to have my nails done and they grew toooo long to press the ickle buttons on my previous but still working phone. I wuv my Nokia 5800!

Oh, and don't forget all the fun apps ...

Handmade with Love said...

Ahh Mr Dunnit is very kind in getting you i-phone. I have had one for a while now and wouldn't change - ever! Have fun with it, you will be amazed at what it can do! Tracey x

Sam said...

wow - you lucky thing!!! I had to buy mine!! But I just LOVE it - am connected all the time - email, blogging, every thing - I am even about to add a programme that gets me running!! (yes it's one of the Couch to 5k apps!)

Hels Sheridan said...

How cool!! I NEEED and iPhone...but I know that I would probably break it before i even undid the wrapping cos I am soooo clumsy...I use my phone to text and call out...and occasionally, if I can suss it out, I can play music on it....have fun with your x

Unknown said...

How lucky you are Julia to have a Mr Dunnit - I bet you deserve it tho. Boys both have iPod touch - never off them. Me - Nokia Music Express (5800) - great for music and videos - maybe when i'm due an upgrade - who knows - i particulary like touch screen tho!!

Paula x x x

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

Loved reading this Julia, love the title too ;) Ah you lucky girl Mr Dunnit spoils you :)
Anne xx

Anonymous said...

WAIT UNTIL HMRC HEAR ABOUT THIS ONE!! RFLMAO!!!!

Julia Dunnit said...

Oh anonymous.
Why are you anonymous? there's no need, you can be horrid in person and get the same responses.

Carmen said...

Oh Julia I can quite honestly say, hand on heart, I don't get it :P The only reason I have a phone is your fault actually. Craig insisted I have one for when I came up to the 2 Scrap Ladies thingy in case for some bizarre reason he should need to get hold of me. So with much huffing and sighing I made him buy the cheapest one in Tescos :P Turns out alright though as it's one of those put a tenner on and get it tripled to £30 jobs so am well happy with that.

Only thing is it's backfired on him big time as since then I have been in a mad texting frenzy with Gail of Myzdamenas World and he is worried I am going to "switch teams and bat for the other side!" LOL! LOL! See what you did to my poor Craig? Do you feel bad? Do you?

Sandra said...

oh I understand the romance - I am that girly that loves her iphone. It's my pride and joy and it even gets a polish every day LOL. You can imagine the tears when I dropped it and it smashed! It's ok though - it's pulled through after surgery LOL.

Megan said...

Hey exciting! I know I have been thinking about the palm pre - as I am very verizon loyal! I did get the new blackberry pearl flip and lost FB on there - which I do miss. But as a scrapbooker I despise camera phones - such terrible pictures.

Kathy said...

ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I got an i[pd Touch for Christmas and I just love the little thing - it's never far from my side! BUT Hubby treated himself to an iphone a couple of weeks back and now I really really really want one!
Maybe I'm just an ungrateful mare

Rosie said...

OMIGOD I understand COMPLETELY! I too have hankered madly after one of these ... but DH looks blankly at me! OK I never go anywhere, spend my life sitting next to the land-line, and don't even know where my (pink) mobile is at the moment. What's that got to do with anything?? I just LOVE it! I could stroke it, or something, couldn't I. Must send a link to my DH so that he can take a leaf from Mr Dunnit's book - what a sweetie he is.

Anne said...

Fabulous post, Julia!

I succummbed to an iphone just before Christmas, although my OH had had one for over a year already. And my, how I had scoffed. I had a pefectly good phone,it did everything I needed it to. But then I got one, and my whole life changed. I use it all day, every day - so now I can feed my internet habit even more! I do more browsing on there now than I probably do the laptop.

I'm waffling. Can you tell I adore my iphone! By the way, I was another one who whinged and whined until she got the original ipod all those years ago!