Friday 16 February 2018

Crop 1, Stash busting 5

It's not just my photos that aren't used in any order when I scrapbook. I have made a concerted effort this year, to use old stash. To rummage further than the top layer and to not rush to the new stuff that I've bought or been given as gifts. This applies especially to embellishments in my case. None of this stuff is cheap, so to buy it and just store it is ridiculous. I'm one of many that often succumbs to trends and great ideas, so I always seem to have a 'top layer' of really up to date bits and pieces. 


The alphabet stickers I used to title this LO for example, have been in my possession for over 12 years. I can be this specific because I know it was stock that came home with me when I closed my shop, Stamping Ground (which explains the blog name, huh). And in those 12 years, I swear, this memory and these photos are the only ones that I have ever felt were made for each other. Other pieces are definitely younger. The metal sign shape that I've used to highlight the date is from a trip to a craft shop in Spain when I was there with some crafter girlfriends. Ten years ago. 
The brads, photo corner and 'glass' tabs on this LO are from my demonstrating days when shaped brads were really new and exciting. I have to admit to a frisson of thrill when I finally used them!

All the layouts I've completed this year so far include some element or other from the bottom of the box. Don't get me wrong, I've used new stuff too, and they sit beside each other very happily. Which is another reason to get on and use them, innit. And here's another - unused in the bottom of the box or used and on a LO, it's stuff you can keep. Stick it on a card and you give it away! There is one drawback though. Four brads on a layout or 9 letters from an alphabet sheet don't make a huge dent in the piles and boxes. However good it feels, it's sort of just tickling the surface. Lucky for me then, that there's still about a trillion photos to be given the treatment. I may need to go away for a weekend of cropping every weekend for the rest of my life....


8 comments:

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Julia, you are not alone with having stash for that long. I was counting my inkpads the other day- yeah, I shocked myself!- and realised that some of my favourites,that are still going strong are Encore & Brilliance, all of which were bought 10-15 years ago. Most of them, apart from the Gold & Silver Encore, have never yet been reinked either.So, over all, a good buy at the time. Love those photos in the layout, looks a delightful place to stop. Love & Hugs, Shaz XxX

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've got a ton of stuff I was given years ago when I was hosting swaps. Such a pity to allow them to sit and waste away (or dry up, like the glitter glue I found yesterday). I'm making an effort to try to use my old scraps, but I still use tried and true products, especially since I make my own backgrounds most of the time. Your layout is fabulous and truly beautiful. BTW, I found some old photo corners recently that originally had glue on the back. The glue was gone, the gold top part had pulled away, and I was left with a mess when I tried to use them recently. So I'm with you on using old along with the new or newer, at least.

Sue said...

Hi Julia, Glad you eventually used your old stash, as the LO is fab. At leaswt you will be kept out of mischief with all those photos still to scrap:) Sue

Anonymous said...

That is one thing I am loving about making ATCs - using up the small embellies/scraps/gems etc etc. In fact I went in my white/cream scrap box today (I also have one box for coloured scraps, and another for patterned) and there really isn't much left in there. I am also using up all my envelopes posting them out! Didn't know you used to have a shop - how wonderful. I used to have an Ebay shop and market stall for cross stitch stash. I used to go to the trade shows and loved that part of it. Ali x

Annie Claxton said...

Aaahhh yes I know that feeling well and I've been kinda doing the same thing, I made myself a promise to use at least a couple of old things in every project ... helps to make space for the new stuff :o) Challenges really help to get my rooting through my drawers!! xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I am on a 'use it up' run too! I really want to buy some new papers I've seen but can't justify it as I have a paper mountain and I'm not too short of embellishments either!! Love the memory page you made! I will get around to showing my desk again one day too!!!! Hugs,Chrisx

Helen said...

I am trying to use old stash this year too... and new stash, and in between stash! We all do it, buy it love it, can't bear to use it... put new stuff on top!! Your latest layout is beautiful .Every weekend away cropping sounds fabulous!

Sharon Madson said...

Congratulations on using stash! Most of my scrap supplies are 10 to 15 years old, I need to use them! Julia I hostess a scrapbook Stash Buster challenge on SplitcoastStampers and you are welcome to join us! Lovely layout, BTW